Saturday, December 1, 2012

Apple and Raisin Oven Pancake

My apologies for the low quality picture in this post, unfortunately our computer has been broken for a while now (another reason my Kombucha post isn't up yet). So I have to do everything on my phone, which if you can imagine is a bit cumbersome, since I can only type letter by letter on a tiny screen. And I don't have access to all my photos either so I had to copy and paste this one from my Facebook page. All that to say we have really been enjoying this and just wanted to share it with you all. I've Been extremely busy with life and moving so i just took a few moments to put this post together. Like my Quick and Easy Oven Pancake this is still quick and easy! And because my children love to douse everything in pure maple syrup I don't add any to the batter, however you could try that if you're not going to be topping it with syrup. Maybe 1-2 TBSP, but honestly I haven't tried that yet, we love it just the way it is. Hope you enjoy and Merry Christmas to everyone!


Delicious Apple and Raisin Oven Pancake

2 very large apples thinly sliced (or 3 med/large apples)
1/2 cup organic raisins
2 TBSP coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut milk ( full fat milk)
1 tsp cinnamon ( I use Saigon cinnamon)
Pinch of allspice
Pinch of nutmeg

FOR THE BATTER:
12 eggs
1 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk ( or one can Thai kitchen 13.66 ounce)
2 cup almond flour
2 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

Grease a 9x13 inch pan. Sauté apples in coconut oil for a few minutes over med- med high heat, until they start to soften. Add remaining ingredients and sauté until slightly thickened and reduced ( a couple of minutes). Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Pour apples and raisin mixture into greased glass pan and combine the ingredients for the batter in the following manner:
Combine the batter ingredients in a medium bowl, (not the butter) and beat for 1-2 minutes. Then pour into pan over the apples and raisins and top by drizzling the melted butter over it. Place in the oven and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and done in the middle ( watch it near the end in my experience oven temps can vary greatly). Top with some maple syrup and some whipped coconut milk and you are in for a treat!



Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I think you had a previous post with just an oven pancake, but I added apples and raisins to it (before you put this post up.) I guess great minds think alike! This dish reminds me of my mom's noodle kugel (a Jewish dish) without the noodles! Brings back great memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, you are right, I had posted this idea over on Facebook and just thought I would share it here on the blog so more people could see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to let you know that my children really like this recipe. It is our Sunday morning breakfast and has been for three wks in a row. They call it the upside down pancake because it resembles the upside down pineapple cakes of our past. I do subsitute a few things, like agave or pure maple syrup, for the 1/2c coconut milk in the first step with the apples and raisins. We also throw some walnuts in there. Sometimes I use 1c of almond flour with 3/4 cup of coconut flour, and 1/2 t. of baking powder (because I was out of almond flour) and it came out beautiful. Great recipe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @kidchaser, Glad to hear they are enjoying it and thank you so much for sharing your modification of it, I hope others will try that too! Thank you so much for commenting and sharing your version of the recipe, I love reading how others modify recipes to their families liking. I know I modify just about every recipe I make, and sometimes we like the modified version even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to share that we still use and love this recipe, it reminds my husband of bread pudding. I now make it even easier by greasing a 12" iron skillet, and after finishing the apples with raisins in the same skillet, I just pour the batter over the top, pour on the ghee or coconut oil (both work fine), sprinkle on a few walnuts, and bake. We cut in wedges and serve. It is still the one recipe my kids ask for every week end. Thanks again for such a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. This looks great. Do you think it would taste ok if I cook it in the evening and reheat in the morning? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! I am going to try this weekend. Has anyone used coconut flour instead of the almond flour? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete