Friday, May 11, 2012

My Mothers Day Thoughts and Some Dessert Ideas...

What I'm most thankful for this Mother's Day...


 I wouldn't even be a mom if it weren't for the 7 little bundles of joy we've been blessed with who call me mom.  I'm thankful for them!

The Salinger family, December 2011- Christmas Choir Concert
As Mothers I think most of us desire to do what is best for our children. So, I'm thankful to have found Paleo and be able to offer them a healthy nutritional start to their lives. 

 I'm also thankful I am able to pass a love of cooking to my children, along with a love for eating Paleo. 
 I'm thankful for the sacrifices my husband has made over the years for me to be able to stay home with our children.    He has worked more than one job most of the years we have been married (21+ years).  Right now he works full time as a Fire Captain, taking overtime when he can and extra "Duty Days", in addition he owns a small construction business and does small side jobs.  Oh, and he coaches CrossFit so our family can have a place to work out. 


I'm thankful for the opportunity to be so available to our children.  I remember my mom offering the same gift to myself and my brothers and how comforting it was to know she would be there when we got home from school.  I always knew and felt how important we were to her and hope to impart that same gift to my own children.  And it didn't stop when we became adults and parents ourselves, I still know my mom is there to talk to or to help.  In fact she demonstrated this,  once again after the birth of my 7th child.  I had some severe complications following his birth and was bed ridden for weeks, she flew down from Alaska at the drop of a hat to help with the children and house and stayed for several weeks.  With out her life would have been much more difficult, she kept things going and allowed my husband to return to work sooner.  It was so comforting to us all for her to be there, she was and is such a blessing to me!  
THANK YOU MOM!

My mom and I December 7, 2006
I am thankful for the church family we have been placed in, and for the value it places on motherhood.  And for the help we receive in raising each of our children, it's such a comfort to know we are not doing it alone.  They are like our extended family.


I'm thankful for a wonderful husband to be a parent with, I don't think God could have blessed me with a better man!


Most of all I'm thankful for the opportunity to pass onto my children a love of God and His word.  To teach them to fear, love and trust in God above all things.


I believe motherhood is one of the highest callings there is.  If you think about it we are blessed with the opportunity to shape future adults and that's pretty amazing!


I am thankful I had such a wonderful example of what is to be a mother and hope that someday my daughters will be blessed with the opportunity to be mothers themselves.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!


Looking for some Paleo Ideas for mothers day?









From Mastering the Art of Paleo Cooking

Blueberry Crisp


Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

Dark Chocolate of your choice
coconut oil
strawberries


Wash and dry your strawberries, then melt your chocolate with a little bit of coconut oil (it will make the chocolate a bit softer) in a double boiler.  I used 1 cup of chocolate chips, about 1-2 tsp. coconut oil, and 20 strawberries.
Remove the chocolate from heat and dip each strawberry in the chocolate and then roll in your desired topping, chocolate bits, finely chopped nuts, coconut, etc. and serve.  


*Note: I find it easier to use a wooden skewer to dip the strawberries and then tap the skewer on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate then roll in desired toppings.


 An assortment of dipped strawberries.
Dipped in shredded coconut.

Dipped in shaved dark chocolate bar.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete