Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dinner in a Hurry!

Last night was one of those scrounge and throw it in a pot dinners, today is grocery shopping day so the night before can be a bit scarce.  Funny thing is it ended up being the best soup ever!  It got high fives from all the kids and that is a hard thing to do.  Unfortunately I didn't' keep track of amounts on my ingredients.  But after it was such a success, I sat down with my oldest daughter and we tried to recall everything that went into that pot so we can try to recreate it.  If we succeed you will definitely see it here. 
 Here is a list of the ingredients, the base was actually leftover Italian style yellow squash (which is yellow squash with onions, basil and canned tomatoes).  I will post that recipe right after I finish this post.

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup
This makes a huge stock pot of soup, we had some leftovers which the kids were happy about.  Lunch for them today!
3 boxes of chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
4 scallions chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 leftover batch of Italian Yellow Squash
3 pounds of Turkey Sausage Homemade Breakfast sausage
2 small bunches of Kale chopped
2-3 large handfuls of spinach chopped
Basil
1 tsp minced garlic
garlic powder
Onion powder
Pepper
1/2 tsp red Pepper flakes
2-3 mini yellow peppers
2-3 mini red peppers
fresh parsley chopped ( close to a cup)
Chopped Carrots
6 slices of Bacon Chopped and fried (I did this first and then cooked the turkey sausage in the grease)
Broccoli chopped (small amount)
entire bunch of  celery including leaves chopped


Combine and simmer until done, yummy!  Like I said if I succeed at re-creating this I will post a more exact recipe later.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment